Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Tiger Night of Fun

Halloween night is a fun night for kids and volunteers! For many years, Columbia Parks & Recreation and local businesses have teamed up for the Tiger Night of Fun - a safe alternative to door-to-door trick or treating held at the Hearnes Center Fieldhouse. Volunteers play an important role in the success of the event.

More than 50 local civic clubs, businesses, and other organizations, brought a game or activity for kids 6th grade and younger. Pictured here are the staff from the Fun City Youth Academy who brought a ring-toss game.

I enjoy volunteering at the Tiger Night of Fun because it exposes me to current culture. With every new costume, I learned something about what is popular with kids these days. The new one for me were characters from High School Musical. I guess I need to get out more often!

More importantly, it allowed me - and the dozens of other volunteers - to interact with children and their families and create memories.

In the course of two hours, more than 2,700 children and their families entered the fieldhouse and had their night of fun. It was all possible because of the work of hundreds of volunteers. Thank you!!